Goals Afrika is an international non-governmental, non-profit organization and network dedicated to promoting citizen diplomacy to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in tandem with the Agenda 2063 in Africa.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also known as the Global Goals, were adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030.
Agenda 2063 on the other hand is the African Union’s 50 years strategic plan (2013—2063) that contains seven core aspirations, twenty goals, and several priority areas needed to achieve the Pan-African vision of “An integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa, driven by its citizens, representing a dynamic force in the international arena”.
Goals Afrika works diligently to create awareness, promote shared values, and aid contributions in actualizing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Agenda 2063. Its mission is to build an African community, collectively involved in promoting and achieving sustainable development through citizen diplomacy.
Citizen Diplomacy entails that all citizens regardless of their professional position can function as representatives of their nation to the world. It is an alternative problem-solving strategy underpinning the role that non-state actors may play to resolve common challenges. Hence, the vision of Goals Afrika is to collaboratively engage citizens from all over Africa in achieving sustainable development on the continent.
What is the problem that the organization seeks to address and the actions carried out to address them?
Goals Afrika is designed to catalyze an international process of diplomacy between citizens, governmental and non-governmental organizations, States, corporations, and practitioners who are trying to support and consolidate sustainable development initiatives to reduce poverty, safeguard the planet and attain world peace and prosperity. It will achieve this through intentional learning and awareness process comprised of an in-person workshop, e-consultation, plenary presentations and discussions, and publication of an ongoing discussion document. Other mediums exchange programs, outreach projects, fellowships, events, networking, volunteering, and other legally permissible means.
The organization will assist donors and practitioners alike to improve understanding and practice of sustainable development, and, recognizing that citizens are major stakeholders in foreign relations and global policies, it will create a platform for citizens-youths, students, volunteers, professionals, among others, to acquire hands-on experiences and opportunities.
As part of its modus operandi, the organization works with appointed National Points of Contacts (NPoCs) in different African countries. NPoCs are people who champion and head the activities of the organization in their countries. They represent Goals Afrika, promote its mandates, and achieve its goals.
What are the goals that the INGO seeks to achieve?
Goals Afrika seeks to achieve the following objectives:
1. Shaping a mutual and clear concept of sustainable development and the Agenda 2063 in Africa by creating awareness of the SDGs and the Agenda 2063.
2. Shaping a mutual and clear concept of citizen diplomacy in Africa.
3. Implementing Sustainable development goals in tandem with Agenda 2063 in Africa.
4. Set country-specific SDG targets.
5. Engage key actors and stakeholders in the priority-setting process from the outset, and stimulate multi-stakeholder action for sustainable development.
6. Empowering and building civil society/ spaces for implementing SDGs, achieve clear objectives, a mutual vision of development, and the pivotal role of citizens in attaining set goals.
7. Moving from the role of service provision and charity to the more effective role of social change.
8. Partner with the United Nations, individuals, corporations, organizations, and States (if need be) to attain objectives that are in tandem with the intent to achieve citizen diplomacy or sustainable development.
What is the expected impact the organization intends to achieve?
1. Goals Afrika will develop a broad understanding of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the role that is expected of citizens in the implementation, follow-up, and review processes thereof.
2. Goals Afrika will organize outreach programs for Primary schools, High schools, and Tertiary institutions to engage them with lectures and other academic services that will help them forge a career path in the different sectors of the Global Goals.
3. Goals Afrika will develop strategies to engage governments and international bodies on their monitoring role and contribution to the SDG process in Africa.
4. Goals Afrika will share best practices-by leveraging on social media and through publications of ongoing discussion documents-for civil, political, economic, and social sectors to implement and achieve the SDGs.
5. Goals Afrika will appoint National Point of Contacts (NPoCs) in different countries. NPoCs are volunteers that act as contact points for the organization in their country. Their responsibility will be to form a local team that will coordinate the organization’s activities at the national level to achieve set objectives.
6. Goals Afrika will substantially make an impact through projects designed to positively affect the 5 “Ps” of the SDGs: People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace, and Partnership.
Who runs the organization?
Goals Afrika is a youth-led organization run by a team of carefully selected individuals from Africa with a strong passion and desire for sustainable development goals and Agenda 2063.
Contact email: email@example.com